How to File a Complaint Against an Officer

If you ever found yourself in a situation where you experienced any form of police misconduct and wanted to file a complaint, it’s possible that you learned the hard way that you can’t simply walk into the station and do it. When investigating the way police misconduct complaints were handled, several civilian testers were sent to different stations to try to file a complaint. The results were devastating – in most cases, the testers were harassed and sometimes even arrested on false accusations. To avoid any kind of problems, follow these useful tips when dealing with a complaint:

  • When filing a “one of a less serious nature” report, the best way is to mail it to Internal Affairs as certified mail with return receipt. This way you’ll have proof of actually sending a report and make it harder for the police to “misplace” it.
  • As soon as possible, write down all details about the incident. You need to answer the five questions – who, what, when, where and how.
  • Provide the name and/or badge number of the officer, explain the nature of misconduct (drinking on duty, harassment, racial discrimination, accepting bribe etc.) and the exact time and place the incident had occurred.
  • Finally, explain in detail how everything happened. Never lie in a complaint. If the police proves you were lying, they will dismiss this and all your future complaints and possibly even charge you with providing a false report. Wait for a couple of days to see if you remember any more details about the incident, then mail the report. The time limit for minor misconduct is 60 days and up to 6 months for serious ones, so a few days won’t make a big difference.

After they’ve received your complaint, the police might contact you via phone or e-mail and ask you to come to the station for further clarification. Never go down to the police station for an interview and don’t answer any questions. Tell them everything there is to know is in the report and stick to it.

If you have a more serious complaint, make sure you hire an attorney instead of addressing to a police agency. Pick an attorney who is not from your hometown or county because locals work with police officers an judges and might not get the best deal for you. You can also contact the Department of Justice or your State Attorney General.


100 notes
  1. snarkymaddness reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  2. udirtydogu reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  3. whateverrdude reblogged this from meninagrauna
  4. crashq reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  5. whatno1tellsyouinschool reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
  6. delicateramblings reblogged this from eternallychichi
  7. copsdothedarndestthings reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  8. humanistrambles reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
  9. womanwholovestruth reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  10. jnicole22 reblogged this from newpennameonedaydeletethisoneday
  11. kids-are-united reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
  12. specboogie reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  13. meninagrauna reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
  14. randomactsofchaos reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  15. waldtochter reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  16. risinglion reblogged this from blackladyblue
  17. thashining reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  18. theylovejason reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  19. mywildyoungheart reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  20. imjustlei reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  21. lolalove14 reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  22. jeankd reblogged this from eternallychichi
  23. eternallychichi reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  24. yada3x reblogged this from thechanelmuse
  25. thechanelmuse reblogged this from bornonroad
  26. bornonroad reblogged this from kingmoyo